Search This Blog

Tuesday 6 April 2010

WHY I CHOOSE TO BE A WEIRDO...

...By which I mean, why do I choose to identify myself as a Christian, let alone one of evangelical persuasion? It’s certainly not credible in the modern age, nor convenient – in terms of the drain on time, money and lifestyle. It’s almost certainly an irritation to my friends... But I happen to believe it’s true and very important. Why? I will attempt to briefly outline the reasoning:

a) I believe we were created. Yunshui once commented on one of my posts saying the choice between an unseen creator or a world grown from nothing out of randomness is a false dichotomy. Nevertheless, there is ultimately either a guiding hand or there isn’t. Neither is ultimately provable, but I look at the existence of the fully formed and functioning DNA code of life emitting from even the first single-cell organism... and I see evidence of intelligence behind it. I look at the knowledge inherent in humanity that there is right, wrong and accountability... and I see external objective morality. I look at the history of cultures, each with the inbuilt urge to worship... and I see an inherent knowledge of something greater than ourselves. I have no beef with evolution, other than that a theory explaining only the drive for survival does not explain to me creativity, musicality, monogamy, altruism or beauty.
Indeed, I feel the real false dichotomy is between those who think and those who sustain faith.  I believe, and I think about it a great deal. I’ve even tried to turn my back on it in the past, but have found the alternative spiritually and logically unsatisfying in the extreme.The fact we’re here does mean something. The fine tuning required to sustain life, or indeed a stable universe, across a wide range of factors is in a probability bracket of a trillion to one and, whilst those odds are theoretically fine within an infinite universe, in no other context would we treat such reasoning as remotely convincing. Dawkins says there is only matter and energy, asking Who made God? To which I reply Who made your matter and energy? In short, I believe in God. 

b) The above remains the majority view globally. Many will stop there. But I’m a Christian, not merely a theist. I think it’s unsatisfactory to believe in God but then assume he wants nothing in return or has no intention of communicating with His creation. Why did he bother? Does he care if we completely ignore Him? Having studied it a fair bit, I find convincing answers in the Bible. I’m not obsessively literal about it all – I’m not going to spend my time arguing for a literal 6-day creation or a literally global flood – but I think the Jews lived up to their special billing; this semi-nomadic Middle Eastern tribe having survived and thrived to the present day despite the targeted persecution of Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Muslims and Nazis for starters.  I believe we are indeed in a fallen world – people capable of greatness but generally wreaking a storyline of destruction and dissatisfaction repeating.
Above all, I think that the historical figure of Jesus Christ – God pitching up in human history to offer a solution, as repeatedly foretold in the Old Testament, lives up to the hype. His preaching and parables are sheer genius, his credibility was sufficient for 2 years of preaching to spark a worldwide movement, the early church who followed him were willing to travel far and wide for his sake, ultimately embracing martyr deaths and, crucially, those who would have loved to nip all this in the bud were unable to produce Jesus’ corpse or powerfully claim his non-existence following his all-important death in our place and subsequent re-appearance amidst once demoralised followers. He was cited in Roman and Jewish sources, and presented fully in the gospels; accounts written within the lifetimes of eye-witnesses by men of exceptional character, willing to depict their own weaknesses and write things that would get them persecuted. I recognise in his model a way of living that works and in his preaching a true description of my dilemma – that I’m a sinner needing saving but thereafter capable of living a productive and changed life. In short, I follow Jesus.

c) And then there’s the intangible results of faith... I’m not arrogant enough to present my own personal experiences as intellectually compelling to another. Yet it’s what we go through as individuals that ultimately seal the deal. I am intellectually convinced by Christianity – I hope you believe as much, even though the few words above only hint at the arguments contained. However, it is the change in myself and others, the unexplainables I have witnessed, the answered prayers and the fact it works... you could explain away each one and that’s OK – but here, living in my own skin, I choose to trust my senses and, several years in, I wouldn’t want to turn my back on Christianity for all the world. Not even following a year bringing with it a life-altering brain tumour for the person I love most.
Yes I know many Christians are hypocrites or ignorant (as of course are many atheists, Muslims, pagans or agnostics!). Yes I know George W Bush made it hard to be on the side of the Bible-bashers. Yes I know various Kings, Emperors and everymen have used and twisted the Bible to suit their own purposes throughout history. No, I don’t claim to have every answer for everything (and I’m a lot less know-all and intolerant, although no less convinced, than I was a couple of years back – life will that do that to you). Neither am I better than anyone else – true Christianity begins with the admission of rubbishness, although that’s no excuse to carry on that way.
But I am a Christian, and I will remain so. So feel free to ask me more if bemused, angered or fascinated... I reckon it’s worth thinking about – better a Dawkins than an ostrich!

PS I’ll balance this out with a post on football next!


7 comments:

  1. Uhh...you're not actually that weird Andy...

    Besides aren't there a lot of similarities between the Egyptian God Horus and Jesus?

    And anyway why does this post come off all apologetic in tone when surely your faith is something to be proud of and celebrated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude... it's self-depreciation. It's my default setting for better or for worse... I know it baffles you, and I know your blog is rather more 'this is what I am and **** you if you don't like it' but that's just not me. Christianity does put me at odds with many of my good mates and I'm often very aware of it... but, perhaps because I'm not brash and confrontational (nor apologetic) about it, they generally remain willing to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True Christianity starts with acknowledgement of Jesus' glory and my failing to follow him, not my rubbishness. Jesus is the Alpha and Omega right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. James, you are sadly addicted to unlikely conspiracy theories!! But seriously you should look properly at the evidence.
    Because there really is Truth even when we'd prefer not to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We could just be some experiment 'like the Sims' that could get turned off any minute! Listen to Saturday's George Lamb show - scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude I looked it up after listening. This is for real - an Oxford University philosophy professor claiming we're 'almost certainly' living within a computer simulation... It confirms how entrenched opposition to theism has become. This guy, faced with the realisation that the continuing findings of physics are just too 'co-incidental' to be accounted for without acknowledging an underlying intelligence, would rather bank on us being inside a computer game than allow for the existence of God...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess it's just another belief though? But a cool freakish one where we're like software! Gutted if there's a power cut! Eek!!

    ReplyDelete