Search This Blog

Monday 8 March 2010

NOTHING GOOD ON THE RADIO



Why can’t I listen to my music on the radio?

Right, nothing deep here – just a good old-fashioned moan at the bland and sanitising nature of commercial interests. Why can’t I listen to the music I like on the radio? It’s my frustration with the modern world in microcosm. For a little while, as a young whipper-snapper, I could listen to it on XFM. Then the sharks circled, XFM was purchased by Capital FM and, before I knew it, XFM seemed only to play The Stereophonics and the only DJ was Dave Berry. There was never anything new, or edgy, or truly alternative anymore. They were just feeding us a different aspect of the major labels’ officially sanctioned roster – the other half of the Top 20.

Then the good old BBC stepped in – the one organisation divorced from commercial considerations. They created 6Music – apparently designed for the likes of me. They kept it off the airwaves, ensuring low audiences by keeping things digital (does ANYONE have a digital car radio yet?) and advertising little. Then, when the pennies started pinching, they announced they were scrapping it – Mark Thompson citing the excuse of a serious overlap with the audience and output of commercial stations. This was ironic, given that there isn’t a single commercial station that plays a single song I identify with 6Music. Hence my point.

So what is my kind of music? It’s not that weird I promise! It’s just the usual music for a 31 year old who never stopped listening – who grew up on a combination of grunge, Britpop and Radiohead as a teenager and kept wanting thoughtful and interesting guitar music. If I listed the bands I listened to last week – Battles, Tunng, Local Natives (who I was lucky enough to see live on Tuesday), The National, Beach House, Grizzly Bear... well I’d sound obscure and pretentious to many. But that shouldn’t be so. They are not obscure or pretentious bands. Indeed the REASON you may not have heard of them is that none of the above are ever played on the radio (apart from by good old Zane Lowe perhaps on the otherwise infantile Radio 1)! There is no-one looking for exciting new music to push people’s dimensions. Because that would involve risk! No, rather the moneymen work out, via survey and focus group, exactly what people are listening to and then give them lots of it – and more ‘new’ artists that sound exactly the same again.

There is, of course, an upside to this: The internet. Things were perhaps ever thus on the airwaves, but  back in ‘the day’ of course people didn’t have Hype Machine... or Last FM... or ITunes... or a million other ways to explore, investigate and expand a budding musical horizon. We are, in reality, spoiled. But, in appreciating the fact, I don’t want to divorce myself from the lovely institution of radio, nor the guiding influence of a real human DJ.

In short, what am I saying? Please don’t scrap 6Music!

6 comments:

  1. Spare a thought for those of us who enjoy Tuvan throat singing, Finnish power metal and gamelan music. Where's our radio station, hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried actually listening to Radio 1 instead? It's awesome! If I happen to miss any of my fav chart tunes (like Leona or Robbie new song) I just have to wait a little while until they're on again. Plus, you don't get amazing DJ's like Fern Cotton on any other station, she's brilliant and it always brightens my day when I hear her in the mornings.

    The variety of music as well crosses all genres and age groups. There's a lot of new young talent that gets aired, especially if they've just won X-Factor. I couldn't wait until Joe Mcelderry's single came out at Xmas and Radio 1 got the first play which was AMAZING! :0) :0) :0) It's such as shame that he didn't get the number 1 xmas spot rather than that rubbish Rage For The Machine song. Who are they anyway? Some sort of old european heavy-metal band?

    Anyway, don't want to keep going on about Radio 1! There's plenty of other solid music loving radio stations like Magic, Capital, and Solent FM - only if you're near the south coast tho :0( xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am for scraping the licence fee or reducing it we were all told it would be £50 from now on who would complain?
    Other than those in the BBC pay.

    Anyway is tv or radio really the future as a creative medium?

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yunshui: I'm impressed you stuck with the gamelan - you tried to get me into that when we were, like, 15...
    Mike: Your sarcasm would be more convincing if you didn't have All Saints, Madonna and Lily Allen on your Most Played list!
    Tom: A. Why are you always anonymous?! B. I disagree... As shown by 6Music - less money would always see the interesting stuff culled and the core stuff (Eastenders, Radio 1) preserved. I am a massive fan of the beeb, despite the above disappointment. For the brilliant website, the podcasts, the comedy, 5Live, Mark Kermode, Match of the Day, World Service, Test match Special, revision guides for the students, Iplayer, politics coverage and much else besides... it could never happen on a commercial station.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've given up on radio for a while now. I'll throw on Absolute now and then on short journeys, but for the occasional decent song, there's a few too many wanky DJs talking over intros.

    The problem though, to use your words, is people. I'm nineteen, most people my age seem perfectly content to hear the same, mass-produced shite they play on commercial radio. Even if there was a station that was readily available that showcased new, orignial music. I'm still not sure enough people would listen to it to keep it afloat.

    But hey, what right do I have to criticise anybody else's musical taste, I have the Greatest Hits of Journey on my iPod.

    The thing is though, it took this whole 6music being scrapped thing to actually make me listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woody- everything you list could be provided outside the BBC.
    All you are describing is your affection for for the particular programme, personality, theme tune.
    Football would still exist as would cricket, as would laughter, politics, exams, even Mark Kermode would still exist. They just wouldn't be promoted, sponsored, subsidised, paid for by the BBC, or rather the licence fee paying public.

    What you are forgetting is the internet allows for minority participation and consumption. So your particular tastes and creative needs can be met. Nearly everything is viable on the internet. Adam & Joe could do their show elsewhere for nominal start up costs as could every other niche programme.

    You are an example of this with your blog. We get to read your views for nothing and at the same time it costs you nothing. You could charge us but we wouldn't pay (sorry if that news to you). In the past for your views to reach an audience you would have had to publish which is expensive.

    Presumably people who love the Adam & Joe show would pay to download the podcast.

    What effect did the printing press have on the world? We have yet to realise the full ramifications for media and our lives. It is why Rupert Murdoch is such a sweat. There is no future in the print media. When the metro started 10 years ago who would have thought a free paper would work and the evening standard would be given out free.

    With all the BBC archives we should be able download have access whenever.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete